07 May 2009

Friedrich Hölderlin: To the Fates


Friedrich Hölderlin

To the Fates


Allow me this one summer, oh Mighty Ones,
And autumn days of song and maturity
.
May then my heart, replete with sweeter
Music, more willingly stop and perish.


A soul that fails its destiny here in life
Will neither come to rest in the underworld.
But once my poem is accomplished,
Heavenly song of my heart's desire:


Then welcome, silent darkness of Hades' world.
My lyre cannot go with me, and yet I am
Contented. Once I lived the life of
Gods, and there is nothing more to wish for.




Translation: Sami Faltas, 2018
All rights reserved.



Friedrich Hölderlin
An die Parzen

Nur einen Sommer gönnt, ihr Gewaltigen!
Und einen Herbst zu reifem Gesange mir,
Dass williger mein Herz, vom süßen
Spiele gesättiget, dann mir sterbe!

Die Seele, der im Leben ihr göttlich Recht
Nicht ward, sie ruht auch drunten im Orkus nicht;
Doch ist mir einst das Heil'ge, das am
Herzen mir liegt, das Gedicht, gelungen:

Willkommen dann, o Stille der Schattenwelt!
Zufrieden bin ich, wenn auch mein Saitenspiel
Mich nicht hinab geleitet; einmal
Lebt ich wie Götter, und mehr bedarfs nicht.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers